Saturday, September 19, 2009

An Apple a Day!

My kids all love to eat applesauce. In fact they have it every morning as part of breakfast and sometimes later in the day as a snack. I came accross some free apples last week so this is what I did on Wednesday last week as I waited for my Mom and Dick to arrive.
I started with two laundry baskets full. Doesn't look like much but it took most of the day.





Wash...The boys wanted to help so their job was to take the apples out of the laundry baskets and put them into the water for me. Boo thought it was more fun to splash. Little C thought the apples were balls so she threw them all over the house making more bruises on them!!



Cut...by the end of the day my right hand hurt so much. I could barely get them all done and was very close to quiting!




Cook... Just put a little water in the bottom of the pot and let them cook until they get soft.

Strain...I love the food strainer! It makes the process so much easier! I'll like it even more when my kids can really help with this part!


Satisfaction...The process is not all fun but the end result is very satisfying!!


When all was said and done I got 24 quarts! This is the sweetest applesauce I have ever had and there is no sugar added. I have no idea what kind of apples they were!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! We just made applesauce for home school! Lesson 4, Day 3, I think it was! SO much better than store-bought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! your way more of a cook these days than I am for sure, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete